How to Enroll Your Student

  • To get started enrolling your child in Columbus City Schools, complete your online SpeedyPass registration, then gather and organize all of the required documents and bring them with your to the Central Enrollment Center to complete the registration process.


    Necessary Documents

    Parent Photo Identification:

    • It’s important that we can verify the identity of those requesting to enroll their child in Columbus City Schools. Please be prepared to show photo identification at the time of your visit.

    Verification of Student Identification (must present any one of the following items):

    • Student Birth Certificate (verification of birth issued by Ohio or a comparable certification issued by another state, territory, possession or nation). If the child’s parent/guardian needs to obtain a birth certificate, they may call the Bureau of Vital Statistics at 645-7331. Please note that any student who may be interested in participating in interscholastic athletics must have proof of age certified via a birth certificate. No other proof of age is acceptable to the Ohio High School Athletic Association
    • Passport or attested transcript of a passport filed with the Registrar of Passports showing the date and place of birth of the child
    • An attested/certified transcript of the certificate of birth; attested/certified transcript of the certificate of baptism or other religious record showing the date and place of birth of the child
    • An attested/certified transcript of a hospital record showing the date and place of birth of the child; OR a birth affidavit

    Proof of Custody/Guardianship (if other than a biological/residential parent):

    • Custody Document - Certified copy of a judge’s order or decree or modification of such order allocating parental rights and responsibilities and designating a residential parent and legal custodian of the child (if applicable)

    Address Verification (must present any one of the following items):

    • A recent utility bill (gas, electric or water) in the parent/guardian's name. (Phone or cable bills are not acceptable)
    • A current lease agreement with parent/guardian's name. Name and phone number of the landlord must be provided in order to verify the lease
    • Two most-recent employment checks with the parent/guardian's name and address
    • Most recent check stub, received from the Department of Human Services or Social Security, addressed to the parent
    • Statement from the Department of Human Services or Social Security, on letterhead, indicating the address used by the parent for receipt of checks. Even if the parent has checks delivered to a post office box, the caseworker may be able to provide verification of an address for the parent, on the agency’s letterhead
    • Statement from the Personnel Office of parent's employer, on letterhead, indicating the address used by the parent for employment purposes and for submission of Internal Revenue Service (IRS) W-2 forms
    • Change of custody forms on Franklin County Children Services (FCCS) letterhead or court documents indicating a change of custodial parent (and address). These must be filed with the Division of the Registrar prior to the child being enrolled in your school. If the child is already enrolled and will continue the current assignment, the new custodial parent will need to go to the Division of the Registrar Office to file paperwork
    • Student Housing Questionnaire
    • Verification of Residency

    Immunization Record (Shot Record):

    • To assure that all schools provide safe and healthy learning environments, the Ohio Department of Health requires all students to be immunized upon enrollment. Contact your child’s healthcare provider to make sure vaccinations are up-to-date for school entry. If you need assistance with immunizations, please contact the school nurse or Columbus Public Health Immunization Clinic at 614-645-7945.  Click here for a printable school vaccination flyer from the Ohio Department of Health.

    Withdrawal Papers or Last Grade Card or transcript from prior school (if applicable)

    Individualized Education Program (IEP), Evaluation Team Report (ETR) or 504 Plan (if applicable)

    Proof of Negative Tuberculosis results from a test given in the United States. Applies to students born in another country OR who has traveled out of the country for 30 or more consecutive days

    Income Verification (For Pre-Kindergarten Parents Only)

    For the purposes of determining family income, a family is determined as:

    • All parents/legal guardians of the child residing in the home and all minor children of the parent/legal guardian who is residing in the home
    • A stepparent residing in the home, and all of the minor children who reside in the home
    • Unmarried parents of a common child who reside in the same home and all of the minor children who live with them
    • A foster parent and all the minor children who reside in the home

    Income of the family includes gross earned and unearned income. Examples of gross earned and unearned income are as follows:

    • Gross earned-wages, salary, severance pay, bonuses, sick leave paid as wages, annual leave, holiday and vacation pay
    • Unearned income is income that is not earned from employment or self-employment. Unearned income includes educational assistance, alimony and child support payments, and gifts or assistance received by the family from persons, organizations or assistance agencies, such as social security administration (SSA) disability, unemployment compensation, veteran's payments, survivor benefits, temporary worker's compensation, and pension or retirement income

    Early Childhood Eligibility Screening Tool  (For Pre-Kindergarten Parents Only)

    If you can't find the information you're looking for please review our Central Enrollment FAQ sheet. If you still have additional questions please call Central Enrollment at (614) 365-4011, or contact the FACTLine at 614-221-3228 or