Gifted and Talented
- Gifted & Talented Overview
- Downloads and Links
- Gifted Staff
- Gifted Identification & Timelines
- Gifted Services
- Enrichment Opportunities
- Twice Exceptional Students
- Gifted & Talented Resources
- Classroom Teacher Gifted Professional Development
New Gifted Services Added for 2020-2021 School Year
Columbus City Schools is pleased to announce the expansion of gifted services for the 2020-2021 school year. Current gifted services, including gifted reading and math classes for grades 3-8 at select sites around the district, Columbus Gifted ACademy, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and CCP programs will continnue to exist as is. But, we will be utilzinig staff funded through the 2016 levy promise and reorganizing other positions to add the following services for students across the district:
- K-2 Gifted Resource Room - This literacy-based enrichment pullout class taught by a gifted specialist will occur 4 hours per week in all elementary buildings for students identified as gifted in superior cognitive ability, creative thinking, or reading.
- 6-8 Gifted Core Enrichment - This core enrichment course taught daily by a gifted specialist at all middle schools serves as a replacement for the traditional core enrichment course. It is open to students identified as gifted in superior cognitive ability or creative thinking ability.
- 9-10 Gifted Support Elective - This is an elective course taught online by a gifted specialist. It is offered to 9th and 10th graders identified as gifted in superior cognitive ability or creative thinking ability in any high school. The focus will be on social-emotional support, college and career planning, and foundational skills to prepare for college level courses in high school.
These options will allow us to offer services to more than 850 students next year beyond those currently receiving gifted services. It is a next step toward the district's goal of providing equitable service for all gifted learners. The district also plans to convene a task force next fall to do a deep dive into our gifted service model in roder to make recommendations for future enhancements to programming.