Welcome Back to School!
We are so glad you're here with us. Welcome back to the 2020-2021 school year at Easthaven Elementary School.
Please do not call Easthaven to address computer challenges.
Call the CCS Help Desk at (614) 365-8425.
Alternatively, you may email them at CCSHelpDesk@columbus.k12.oh.us.
Virtual Learning Resources
A day in the life of an elementary school student
Learning Extension Centers
This fall, The Columbus Dream Center will be operating Learning Extension Centers in Easthvaen's neighborhood.
- Student Orientation 9/2/2020 5:00-6:00 p.m.
- Resource Distribution 9/3/2020 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Labor Day 9/7/2020 (No School for Students)
- First Day of School 9/8/2020 (Students report virtually)
Expectations for Virtual Learning - Students
- Log in 5 minutes prior to start time (to avoid technical problems)
- Be in attendance and actively participating during scheduled times
- Limit distractions during learning times (no toys or siblings)
- You are required to have your camera on during learning time
- Mute your mic (only use when speaking or presenting)
- Students are expected to be out of bed and fully dressed when participating in on-line instruction/activities.
Expectations for Virtual Learning - Families/Parents/Guardians
- Make sure students are logged on, actively engaged and completing assignments.
- Ensure your contact information (address, phone number(s), and email address are up-to-date in the system) You can use the parent portal to update information at any time, or by emailing Mrs. Karamol at email@example.com or Ms. Westbrook firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Be responsive to teaching staff (check your email, voicemail) and a partner in your child’s learning.
- Have supplies readily available to support your child during virtual learning (teachers can help you understand what is needed)
- Make sure your child(ren) are not playing school with resources provided, they will need the resources for on-line learning.
- Support your child with the work, help them understand concepts but DO NOT DO THE WORK FOR THEM. The learning is in the struggle.
Expectations for Virtual Learning - Teachers & Staff
- Staff will provide parents with a weekly overview of assignment expectations (This will be posted in the Google Classroom—it may appear in other platforms as well)
- A consistent number of assignments for each content area subject (this may change based on the needs of students. Expect 2 assignments each week in Reading and Math, 1 Science and 1 Social Studies assignment. Students will receive explicit instruction in writing daily as determined by the teacher.
- Lessons/activities/assignments will be aligned to Common Core State Standards and be purposeful in nature.
- Consistency in scheduling on-line instruction, intervention and enrichment activities
- Lessons will be intentionally planned, meaningful and engaging for students.
- Every teacher will set up consistent office hours to support students and parents in the learning process.
- Teachers will provide substantive and timely feedback to parents with regard to student progress in the virtual learning environment.
Digital Platforms for Online Learning
- Google Classroom will be the platform of choice for ALL online learning activities, parent meetings, assignments, class meetings etc.
- Teachers will have the option of using additional platforms (Class Dojo, Remind, Blooms) to communicate with parents.
- All communication attempts will be documented in the PLP. A word to the wise—be concise when documenting contacts in the PLP.
- It is the expectation that staff will be responsive to your emails and phone calls—you should expect a response within 24 hours of initial contact.
- If large parent meetings must happen, the Principal reserves the right to use Zoom for ease of facilitation. Links will be given to to teachers and posted in the Google Classroom.